A. H. SMITH

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Married: The Contest

She: I love the Melrose Street Fair.
He: Me, too.
She: Let’s play a game.
He: Okay. What game?
She: The first person that gets greeted by someone that knows us, wins.
He: Like if someone comes up to you that knows you and that person says hello before someone who knows me says hello to me, then you win.
She: That’s what I just said.
He: Okay. I’m in. But what are we playing for?
She: Dinner. Loser buys dinner for the winner.
He: You’re going to lose.
She: How do you know that?
He: Just wait.
(10 minutes later. Retro Ranch)
Shop owner she: Hi, he!
He: Hi, shop owner, she!
Shop owner she: How are you?
He: Great. How’s the fair?
Shop owner she: Fantastic! Have a fun day!
(Outside)
He: I win. Yeah!
She: You didn’t win.
He: What do you mean, I didn’t win. Shop owner she just said hello to me.
She: That’s against the rules.
He: Against the rules. What rules?
She: Greetings by shop owners are against the rules.
He: Huh?
She: You come down here all the time. These people know you. Doesn’t count.
He: Doesn’t count. You changed the rules.
She: I didn’t change the rules. It’s not my fault if you don’t know the rules.
He: I give up.
She: Not so quick there, sport.
He: What?
She: I win.
He: What?  How can you win? How can you possibly think you won? No one has even said hello to you.
She: You cheated. I win by forfeit.
He: Cheated? Forfeit?
She: A shop owner said hello to you. A clear violation of the rules.
He: I give up!
She: You can’t. You already lost. Where are we going for dinner? I’m starving!

No comments:

Post a Comment