A. H. SMITH

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Schooled: The Tardy

She (at the door): Mr. Smith, can I talk to you outside for a minute.
Me: Sure.

She: Can I ask you a favor?
Me: What can I do for you?
She: I’m afraid to ask this.
Me: Ask away, but it is first period. Aren’t you supposed to be in math?
She: Yeah, but I’m late and I was wondering if you would write me a pass so I won’t be tardy.
Me: How come you’re tardy?
She: My boyfriend and I went to breakfast and we were late getting to school. Can I have a pass? I don’t want to get in trouble.
Me: Can’t do it. Sorry. It’s no big deal. You get a tardy. You’re not really going to be in any trouble.
She: Are you sure you won’t.
Me: Sorry. Just go to the office. It’ll be fine.
She: Ok. Thanks anyway.
(A moment later my phone rings.)
Office She: Has She been in your class this morning.
Me: Not really. I just saw her a minute ago. She said she was tardy for first period.
Office She: You didn’t ask her to come in and work first hour? She told her mom she was going to be in your class first hour.
Me: Ah….no. I don’t know what she’s talking about.
Office She: Well it appears She had her boy friend call her in sick. Now I might be young but I wasn’t born yesterday. A seventeen year old boy doesn’t exactly sound like her father.
Me: Not usually.
Office She: The dad called her first hour teacher, and she wasn’t there. Mom is really angry. So is her Dad.
Me: It probably sounded like a good plan at the time.
(Third hour.)
Me: Good morning.
She: I am so screwed.
Me: Things didn’t exactly go as planned?
She: We were late. I had my boyfriend call me in tardy, but for some reason he told the office I was going to be absent the whole day? I hate my life.
Me: Yikes! Sounds like a breakdown in communication to me.
She: I am so screwed.
Me: Did you ever hear the one about Oh what a tangled web we weave…
She: Yeah. But I don’t want to talk about it.
Me: See that’s why I didn’t write you a pass. I could smell disaster all over this one.
She: I’ve never been in this kind of trouble before.
Me: Another first for your resume.
She: I am so screwed.

No comments:

Post a Comment