A. H. SMITH

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Married: Herpetology 101

He: COME QUICK!
She Where are you?

He: I’m in the bathroom!
She: What is it? I was asleep.
He: No, you weren’t. I was just in there kissing you good night. You couldn’t have fallen asleep that fast.
She: You woke me up and got me in here just to tell me I wasn’t asleep?
He: Not really!
She: Why are you holding the cat like that?
He: Look.
She: What’s that?
He: It’s a snake! A baby red racer.
She: It sure is small. You woke me up to show me a snake?
He: Take the cat. If I let her go so I could catch the snake, she’ll get to it before I do and it’ll get away.
She: Come here, Kitty Baby.
She: Was Daddy being mean to you?
He: I knew there was something back here. For two days she’s being hanging around here. Just waiting. It was the snake. Good work, Kitty Baby!
She: Did you get him?
He: I got him. Little guy, but he’s feisty. Did you know that red racers are part of the constrictor family but they don’t kill their prey by squeezing them to death but by biting them? They are rather aggressive snakes and they prefer the rocky, desert environment of Arizona and New Mexico.
She: Thanks, Steve Irwin.
He: He’s dead.
She: Who’s dead?
He: Steve Irwin.
She: Hopefully, that snake will be, too.
He: No freakin’ way! You made me set the squirrel free and he’s still digging holes in the back yard. I’m setting this boy free!
She: He’ll just come back in the house.
He: Yeah. You’re right, now that you mention it. But that’s not what’s worrying me.
She: What now?
He: If he’s such a baby, there has to be a mother and father around here somewhere, and they’re not going to be as small. And racers like to bite! And there have to be a bunch more babies!
She: That’s it! I’m going to bed….And we’re moving.
He: And just why are we moving?
She: A whole family of snakes for starters. Come on, Kitty Baby.
He: Snakes are good. They keep the rat population down.
She: I’m asleep now. Stop talking, please.
He: Thanks for your help--good night, sweetheart!
She: Good night, Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment